Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Journey to KK, Sabah.

For these three weeks holidays, i was lucky enough to visit the Sabah, which has indeed left a very unforgettable memory in my life. It was simply awesome! Despite the packed schedule and nights trapped in UMS hostel, i truly enjoyed myself! It marked so much difference when you're traveling with your friends. (An awesome bunch of friends, of course)

* * *
Sabah, known fondly as ‘The Land Below the Wind’ is really an attractive place to visit, with Mount Kinabalu rising majestically 4,095.2m from sea level and its beautiful stretch of coast with beaches of fine white sand and crystal clear water.

I am proud to tell you all that i've successfully conquered Mount Kinabalu! It was not an easy journey way up. I struggled with the pain of my old injury at the joint of my right leg. Every step i made by lifting my leg up hurt a lot. But it was the unwavering determination that held me on and moved me on. I am guilty to admit that i didn't really have enough physical training before the climb. I was busy enjoying my holiday. The only things i did before that week were one evening of jogging and two tennis sessions. (These are not even counted as trainings!) So you see, i had a hard time climbing up.
Before the climb, we stayed at Kinabalu Park. I was lucky to 'tumpang' a lecturer's daughter, that i got to stay in the Peak Lodge. It was a very high class, comfortable Western lodge. We were so excited snapping photos of every corner of the lodge, yes, i meant every corner!
We also had buffet meals there where we savoured every mouthful. And i took every opportunity to be creative by decorating my meals. XD It was fun!

I experienced the deepest inner as well as physical struggles making my way up to the Low's Peak. It was so difficult because i was exhausted with the steep climb, and the wind was so strong and cold. It was as if the nature and your tired self were telling you to give up. But i didn't want to give up just yet. I saw the peak already, i just had to walk there.
Climbers with headlamps trailing up the mountain slowly, battling the coldness but determinedly making each step forward.

I had a mountain guide by my side. Somehow i felt that i was very lucky because it seemed that i was the only one who had a personal mountain guide. My hands were frozen and numb, and my breathing was fast. Seeing this, the mountain guide held my hand. His hand was so warm! He asked me a few times whether i was really going to make it to the peak or i would better just walk back to Laban Rata. I was unsure if i could make it. But one thing for sure was i want to make it to the peak. So i took a deep breathe, and told him, 'Even if i have to crawl up there, i would do so too.' Hearing this, he nodded his head, 'if you want to, i will help you. But don't push yourself too hard, if you can't, just give up. If not you might die halfway up.'
I understood the danger and risk very well if i persist when i was already no longer physically fit for it. But, how could i possibly give up? My students were waiting me for the good news; my friends were praying for my success; my family was praying for me; the others had gone up to the peak; I had already come so far, climbed so much, experienced so much pain and struggles. And i had paid the money for this. (RM530, not a small amount for a college student ok?) The peak was just right in front of me, i just needed to press on and make it there.
So yes!!! Thank God! He granted me extra strength and i finally kissed the summit! The feeling when i was standing at the peak was - awesome - it's indescribable - you just gotta experience it yourself! (At least once in your life.) It's really something that i will remember for life!
I took this when i was going down from the peak. Did you see my proud face?

I thank God too because i got to witness a breathtaking sunrise! It was something that i wanted to do during this Mount Kinabalu climb! It was stunning, beautiful... How great the Creator is, who painted such a beautiful sunrise! It made the whole climb very worthwhile!
Awesomely stunning, breathtaking and beautiful sunrise!

After the climb to the peak, my mountain guide praised me that i am mentally strong. He was surprised too that i could make it up there. This is Agnes, mentally strong! If it's something i really want to achieve, i will, no matter what, press on and endure all hardships in order to reach it. For those who want to challenge Mount Kinabalu: It is a difficult journey up, but it's achievable. Have enough physical trainings before climbing, it will help a lot.
* * *

Hello, Manukan Island!
Manukan Island offers a perfect rendezvous with nature: long, white beaches with gentle surf, crystal-clear waters, and a perfect place to say hello to beautiful fishes. The semi-circular Manukan Island is just about 15 minutes from Kota Kinabalu, you can get a ride by using the speedboat. This is a good paradise with all kinds of fishes. You can find Nemo here! Renting the snorkeling equipment is just RM5! This is a budget island if you want to visit a beautiful island and protect your wallet from excessive 'bleeding'.








Photo with my TESL junior.

We were the only two challengers from TESL course. Oh by the way, i need to clarify that he wasn't putting his hand on my shoulder. It just happened to look like that because of the angle. But hey, don't you think we both look cool? heehee.
* * *

Overall, it was such a memorable trip that i will cherish forever. I took almost 2000 photos in just 6-day trip! This was the first time i went traveling with friends and it was awesomely awesome! Friends make so much difference by just being around. :)

KK is a very good place to visit. I will for sure visit it someday. Didn't really have enough time to really tour around KK as we were trapped in UMS hostel. Of course, apart from Mount KK, we did go to places around KK such as the Philippine Market and 1Borneo which is located somewhere outside UMS.


NEXT DESTINATIONS:
Singapore (Year end), Otago, NZ (June 2011!)

Can't wait!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I happened to come across your blog when finding info of UMS hostel. I'll be going to Sabah in 1st week Aug and may be staying there. May I ask the condition of the hostel? Was it comfortable? neat? clean?
    Thanks!

    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Wendy! I'm so sorry I only realized your comment now, which is like after TWO years! I'm really sorry! The condition of the hostel was fine when I stayed there.

      I hope you had a great and comfortable stay there!

      Delete